Our team is available to you anytime for questions or concerns you may have after your no-scalpel vasectomy procedure at our Irish vasectomy clinics.
Please read the information below to know what to expect after your procedure.
Do’s and Don’ts After a Vasectomy
Please follow your doctor’s instructions for post vasectomy care in order to speed healing and recovery.
Key points include:
- Do not take any NSAID’s (anti-inflammatories) or aspirin for one week before your surgery or 24 hours after surgery. Paracetamol is fine to take at any time.
- Avoid alcohol 48 hours before and after surgery.
- Wear loose fitting clothing on the day of your surgery.
- Wear underwear with good support coming in for your surgery, not boxers.
- For the next few days continue with the supportive underwear, including when sleeping.
- No strenuous activity for one week after the operation. That includes no heavy lifting, cycling, going to the gym, bending, etc.
- After surgery, go home, sit or lie down, apply ice pack to the scrotal area and if uncomfortable, take paracetamol. (No NSAID’s for 24 hours).
- You can take a shower the evening after your vasectomy. Avoid bathing, hot tubs, swimming pools for a week until the small opening in the scrotum created during surgery is sealed. This will help prevent infection to the operative area while the small hole made for your no-scalpel procedure heals over.
- No sex or ejaculation for one week.
Detailed Patient Instructions After Vasectomy
After your vasectomy, you should go home and rest for the remainder of the day and evening.
Minimize any kind of activity.
Some men have no pain at all while many others have aches in the groin. That’s because the testes originate from the abdomen as an embryo and share some of the same nerve supplies. Anything in the scrotum may be perceived in the abdomen as well.
Please plan on being a couch potato for the first two days after your vasectomy procedure.
Even if you feel OK to walk around the very best thing for your speedy return to your regular routine is to rest and maximize the rate of healing.
Call Us to Book!